With the upcoming release of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, who better to talk to than the 5th Ninja Turtle, singer, rapper, actor, tv host and turtles number 1 fan, VANILLA ICE!
Here’s how it went down!
1) You are basically the 5th Ninja Turtle, and you were in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ll Secret of the Ooze. What is it about the turtles that makes them so special to you?
I grew up on the Ninja Turtles, but then I became obsessed. This started before my part in the movie and before the ninja rap. The impact of the Ninja Turtles was so huge that when I play concerts around the world in China, even Saudi Arabia, and Russia and they are still chanting
“go ninja go”
2) Ninja Rap is one of the greatest songs of all time! If Ninja Rap was re-released which artist (excluding yourself) would you choose to perform it?
I would choose the Ninja Turtles themselves, sounds funny but the truth is, no one has any business singing anything about the Ninja Turtles if they’re not completely in tune with being a ninja themselves. It should never be a corporate decision. It’s a ninja decision.
3) Who – out of all the Ninja Turtles – would be the best Rapper?
Raphael, just look at the first three initials RAP – WORD TO THE NINJAS!
4) You have a Ninja Turtle tattoo, tell us more about it and how did it come about?
Well, tattoos are permanent, and I figured since the Ninja Turtles were such a big part of my life, I would make them a permanent part.
5) We recently saw you on an episode of the Toy Hunter, how big is your Ninja Turtle collection and what’s the craziest piece of Ninja Turtle memorabilia you own?
I have a large Ninja Turtle collection, everything from the rarest of rare games made in the late 80s like techno Drôme… boxes never opened… Collectors would love this. It would probably go for around the $10,000 mark. I even have a 59 Cadillac that they used to drive in the early days. I have Ninja Turtle sneakers and just about everything else you could think of related to the turtles.
6) How many turtle shells out of 10 do you give the new Ninja Turtle film?
I actually thought the new movie kicked ass. And I would be the biggest critic and skeptic of them all. I think they did a great job. Especially in 3-D. So I give it 8 shells. I’m not easy to impress when it comes to the ninja turtles. The only movie that will never be topped and deserves 10 out of 10 shells is “The Secret of The Ooze”.
7) Turtle confession, growing up Donatello was probably my first celebrity crush, lol, who’s yours?!
The only one I can think of would be
“I dream of Jeannie”
Who doesn’t dream about having their own Jeannie?
8) Your birthday is October 31st – Halloween – have you ever dressed up as a Ninja Turtle? (If no, maybe this year?)
I don’t dress up like a ninja turtle, I am a ninja turtle. And on my birthday, “HALLOWEEN” – I party with Ninja Turtles.
In fact I celebrated my birthday on the movie set with the actual real Ninja Turtles, we sang ice ice baby and play that funky music together as well. I constantly have ninjas around me all the time. That’s the way I roll. #NinjaStrong
9) The new Ninja Turtle film has announced a sequel, is there any chance we will see you in the film or even a Ninja Rap 2.0??
Well, that remains the secret. Haha…
If I told you, it wouldn’t be a secret. In fact maybe it is the secret of the ooze ?
10) We play a game here called PWR (which stands for playing, watching, reading). What are you playing watching reading??
Well after this interview I feel like playing the ninja rap, while watching breakdancing ninjas, and reading the headlines that say “shredder has been defeated” hee hee!
11) Lastly you’re a 90′s fashion Icon, who wore it better?!
Raphael always does everything a little bit better.
If you want to see more Vanilla, check him out here:
The Vanilla Ice Project
Twitter – @vanillaice